Altmetric

Thursday, April 18, 2013

Two-Gun Lil--First Story

Here is the first Two-Gun Lil story, six picture pages and typed up text.
1.1
{Keep shootin', honey," Sheriff Sam Peters told his beautiful daughter, Lil! "Some day those six-guns may turn out to be the only friends you got!" So little Lil played with guns before she played with dolls -- and when the terrible day of vengeance came -- she was ready!}

1.2 
{A charity carnival in Boston}
By Jove, Lil... I believe I'll try shooting one of those big pistols ... if I can hold it!
Go ahead, Tommy! But you'd better use both hands!

1.3 
No good, son. Ah reckon you'll never make a good trail hand!
You can say that again, old timer! Sometimes I wonder what these dudes are good for! Let me try those guns!

1.4 
But ma'am, guns ain't for ladies.
Lil, be careful! You have no idea how heavy and loud they are!

2.1 
Phooey! I cut my first teeth on the barrel of a Colt .44!
Yike!

2.2 
Thanks! Now I'm going home to pack!  Sheriff Sam Peters of Sage City is going to get his daughter back again ... College or *NO* college!

2.3 
A telegram just came for you. Miss Peters!
Thanks!

2.4 
TELEGRAM--Miss Lil Peters, C/O Ladies Seminary, Boston; Your father Sheriff Sam Peters killed by bushwhacker; (Signed) Bob Cross, Deputy

2.5 
{Now I know why you made me learn to shoot!}
Now can I go play with my friends, Daddy?
Yes, honey! But *REMEMBER*, this is wild country! Some day, a pair of six-guns may be the *ONLY* friends you have!

2.6 
These are my friends now, Dad ... And they're going to help me pay back the buzzard who bushwhacked you! That's a *PROMISE*!

2.7 
No matter what they do or where they hide, I'll find the hombres who gunned out my Daddy ... *AND I'LL MAKE THEM PAY*!


3.1 
{Two weeks later ...}
You must be Miss Lil Peters, ma'am! I'm Bob Cross, Deputy Sheriff! Welcome to Sage City.
Thanks, Bob! I see you're carrying on Dad's job for him!

3.2 
Yes'm! I'm in charge until the town elects a new sheriff! Then one of Garson Cade's buzzards'll likely get it!
Cade? He was a two-bit tinhorn gambler when I went away to school!

3.3 
He's growed up now, ma'am! And here he comes, fixin' to greet you!
Well, well, if it isn't little Lil Peters, grown into a lovely young woman! This is a pleasure!

3.4 
You don't know how it grieves me to have your father gone! He was a splendid man and a splendid officer!
I'm glad to hear you talk that way, Mr. Cade!

3.5 
Now I know how happy you'll be when I track down the back-shooting polecat who gunned him.
Ulp! Er ... of course ... of course!

3.6 
What's wrong, boss? You look like you just gandered a ghost.
I have, Bunco. Meet me in my office in ten minutes.

3.7 
{Later ...}
That girl you saw with Cross is Sam Peters' daughter! I didn't figure on *HER* coming home!
Who cares? We got her old man in the back! I guess we can handle ...

3.8 
You mouthy fool! I told you never to breathe a word about who ambushed Peters!

4.1 
Aw, I wouldn't talk, boss!
You'd better not! Lil Peters is poison with six-guns and she's out to avenge her father! We'll have to take care of her!

4.2 
{Meanwhile ...}
Your Dad gave Cade 24 hours to leave town! *THAT NIGHT HE WAS BUSHWHACKED*, but there's no proof Cade did it.
I'll get proof! I'll have that ornery sidewinder squealing like a dogie calf before I'm through!

4.3
{Suddenly ...}
*SHERIFF, COME QUICK*! There's a two-gun polecat down at the 'Lazy Day' ... full o' pizen and aimin' to shoot up the place!
You run along, Bob! I'll go back to my old room and get into more fitting duds!


4.4
I get a lump in my throat when I think of the happy years when Dad and I lived back of the sheriff's office!

4.5
Wha ...? What are you varmints *DOING* in my room?
Waiting for you, my dear! We thought it would be easier to take care of matters before you got your artillery unpacked!

4.6
Tie her up, Bunco! We got Bob Cross out of the way long enough to finish this off right!
You buzzards! You're plumb scared I'd pin Dad's killing on you!

4.7
Of course, my dear! But this dynamite Bob seized from some bank robbers last week will take care of things nicely!
When that goes off, *NOBODY* will know if she was tied or not!

4.8
*EVERYBODY* knows about the dynamite! They'll only wonder how a fire started here ... But they can't prove anything!
You two-legged polecats! If I had guns in my hands right now ...

5.1
These men always figure a gal will be too paralyzed with fright to use her head!

5.2
They never had the advantage of being raised by Sheriff Sam Peters, that's all! He always expected the unexpected. ...

5.3
And *THIS* trick wasn't even unexpected! I *KNEW* Cade would try something once he knew I was back!

5.4
I'm lucky these old adobe walls are thick and solid!

5.5
If I can cut through these ropes on a piece of shattered glass ...

5.6
I made it! I'll be out of here in a jiffy and into action before Cade discovers I wasn't in the middle of that blast!

5.7
And now Mr. Garson is in for a shock ... *AND IT'S LIABLE TO PROVE FATAL*!

5.8
That was plumb nice of him to furnish the *PROOF* I needed! Now I'll be polite and return his visit!

6.1
Never mind that dynamite blast, boys! The drinks are on the house! Bunco and I are celebrating! Step right up!
That's right! We just put over a big deal!

6.2
Now that I've taken over Sage City completely ... *AWRRRK!*
All you've taken over, you ornery coyote, is a lease of boot hill earth!

6.3
L - Lil! But ... But ...!
Get her! She can't watch everybody at once!

6.4
I don't have to! This is what I call light work!
*LOOK OUT*! The chandelier'' pin us all down!

6.5
Now, Bunco ... I'm paying you off for back-shooting my Daddy!
No! No! I didn't do it! ... Honest! Cade done the shooting! *I SWEAR HE DID IT*! I only stood by in case of trouble.

6.6
You heard that, Bob! Is that the evidence you needed?
Plenty, Miss Lil! And more skunks'll squeal to save their hides! Cade will swing for that job!

6.7
Well, that job's done! Now I suppose with Cade's rule broken, you've got a chance of being elected sheriff, Bob!
I'll stick to being deputy, ma'am! The people in Sage City already know who they want for their next sheriff!

6.8
But if that deputy's job is still open ...

(This story is from a copyright-free magazine which was downloaded from the Digital Comic Museum)