Altmetric

Saturday, April 20, 2013

Dictionary Skills - How to Choose Meanings (PCM Method)



The PCM Method is very easy. Some words have more than one meaning. When you look up such a word in the Macmillan English Dictionary [MED], look for a sample sentence with the same grammar pattern and similar collocates. This will help you find the correct meaning.

1. pay
2.6 These are my friends now, Dad ... And they're going to help me pay back [the buzzard] who bushwhacked you! That's a *PROMISE*!

None of these five meanings fits. The patterns and collocates are wrong.
pay back (2) is just right: same pattern, same collocates

PATTERN: pay [somebody] back = VB + [N] + ADV
COLLOCATE: them ~ buzzards (= bad guys)
MED: She was determined to pay [them] back for the trouble they had caused.
MEANING: to do something bad to someone because they have done something bad to you

2. happy
4.4 I get a lump in my throat when I think of the happy [years] when Dad and I lived back of the sheriff's office!

Meaning (3) has the right pattern and the right collocates
PATTERN: happy years = ADJ + [N]
COLLOCATE: a happy marriage/childhood/life (these nouns all refer to time)
MEANING: making you feel happy, or showing that you feel happy

3. case
6.5 Now, Bunco ... I'm paying you off for back-shooting my Daddy!
No! No! I didn't do it! ... Honest! Cade done the shooting! *I SWEAR HE DID IT*! I only stood by in case of trouble.
 
In case of (=if there is) bad weather, the wedding will be held indoors.
PATTERN: in + case + of + [N]
COLLOCATE: trouble ~ bad weather (things that make people unhappy)
MEANING: If there is [N]

4. know
2.5 {Now I know why you made me learn to shoot!}



know what/why/who etc.: None of us really knew what had gone wrong.
PATTERN: know + WH (who/what/when/where/why/how) + sentence
COLLOCATE: you made me learn ~ [something went wrong]
MEANING: to have information about something, or to understand something