Altmetric

Friday, December 2, 2016

Ten Commandments: Background-1 『十誡』2007、1998年動畫版 Two Cartoon Versions

The Ten Commandments are the moral basis of Western culture. They are so basic that even atheists accept most of these ideas without thinking clearly about where they come from. This 2007 cartoon version of the Bible story is an easy way to start learning about the Ten Commandments:


Rent this movie from a video store to see it with subtitles in your own language. You MUST see this movie! Buzzfeed says so, so they must be right. ;-)

These are some of the important people at the beginning of the story:


Moses Leader of the Hebrews
Yocheved Mother of Moses
Miriam Sister of Moses
Aaron Brother of Moses
Ramses Son of Pharaoh
Zipporah Wife of Moses
Jethro Zipporah's father


Unfortunately, the YouTube version does not have provide English subtitles (captions). Some of the dialog appears below, followed by a summary of the first twenty-odd minutes.


A Selection of Movie Dialog

Joseph helped to save Egypt during seven long years of famine. His wisdom also made his adopted country strong and powerful, which is why the pharaoh of his time invited Joseph's family (the seeds of the Jewish people) to come live in Goshen. 400 years later, the new pharaoh remembers none of this. His heart is full of hatred towards the Hebrews (the Jewish people), who have been turned into slaves.

There are too many of them!
I decree that they work harder, until they drop [dead]
Throw all of the Hebrew baby boys in the Nile. Let the crocodiles eat them!
They shall fear me. They shall worship ME!

Yocheved gave birth to a boy
"My son will live!"
Make him a basket
Miriam, Aaron, hide your brother!
May God guide you, my son!
[Miriam follows the basket]

It's Pharaoh's daughter!
Now he is mine! The gods have given me a son.
Because he was drawn from the water, his name shall be Moses.
Will you be needing a nurse for him? I know just the woman!
You are destined for great things, Moses! I feel it in my heart.

Ramses! Is this the way a future leader behaves?
You disappoint me. You have responsibilities!
You will be a god forever in the eyes of Egypt.

Hey, you! Stop that!
I beat these dogs all the time
That's a man, not a dog!
You need to be taught a lesson!
I've killed him!
Run! The pharaoh will slay you for this deed.

You're Aaron, the son of Yocheved, my nurse?
No, she's not. She's your mother, and I'm your brother.
Miriam, your sister, my sister.
Haven't you always felt different, deep down inside?
Take this donkey. Flee while you still can!

You are no longer a prince of Egypt. You are now a prince of the desert.

The women were there first.
I'm a dead man to pharaoh, and my donkey has a bad temper.
The two of us have nothing to lose and nothing to fear.
I'm just a stranger in a strange land.

But in Egypt, the Hebrews cried out in pain, and God heard them.
God chose Moses to lead them out of their servitude.

Moses sees a burning bush
God called to him ...
Moses. Take off your shoes, for you are standing on holy ground
I am the god of your fathers
I have seen the affliction of my people who are in Egypt.
I will free them and you will bring my people to serve me on this mountain.

"I am that I am" This is my name
I will be with you
Show the people these signs and they will believe you.


Summary of the first 20+ minutes in Four Paragraphs
The first paragraph explains why the Hebrews came to live in Egypt. This background is not shown in the movie

1. Joseph was a wise Hebrew who gave Pharaoh a lot of help and saved Egypt from famine (= widespread, long-lasting hunger), so Pharaoh was very grateful. He made Joseph his second-in-command (like a Prime Minister) and invited Joseph's family to come live in Egypt.

2. 400 years later, there were now many, many more Hebrews living in Egypt. The new Pharaoh was afraid of the Hebrews, so he tried to make them die from overwork. When this didn't work, Pharaoh ordered his soldiers to kill all of the Hebrew baby boys.

3. Yocheved, the mother of Moses, did not want her son to die, so she placed him in a basket and put it in the Nile. The basket was found by Pharaoh's daughter, and the baby boy became her son. This is how Moses became a prince of Egypt.

4. Many years later, Moses saw a slavemaster beating a Hebrew. He became very angry, and killed the slavemaster. Moses was thus forced to run away in the desert. In Midian, he married Zipporah and became a shepherd “a stranger in a strange land.”

The Prince of Egypt version
The story of Moses and the Ten Commandments has been told many times in movie form. The 1998 cartoon version (made by DreamWorks: English & Chinese Wikipedia), NOT by Disney) was widely appreciated. Here is the scene where God talks to Moses from a burning bush :




Please comment. As a Chinese (Taiwanese), what do you think of the episode of the burning bush? God thinks Moses can be a great leader. How do you feel? Why?