Altmetric

Sunday, December 28, 2014

Mutiny on the Bounty -- Flogging

[Updated on 28 December, 2014]


Mutiny on the Bounty has been made into a movie many times, but many people think the 1935 movie was the best. The producers spent $2,000,000 to make all the details in this movie accurate. 

There was a mutiny on Captain Bligh's ship. Why did the men on the Bounty hate Captain Bligh so much? These notes will help you understand.

The surgeon on the Bounty was often drunk, but he was friendly, often told jokes, and everybody liked him. Everybody but Captain Bligh! In the following scene, he is punished for poor discipline (= he didn't correctly follow all of the rules on the ship) by flogging with a cat o' nine tails ("九尾貓" = 九尾鞭).


Cat o' nine (CC BY-SA OwenX, Wikipedia)

At that time, flogging was a common punishment in the British navy.
Flogging (public domain image)
The Flogging (= punishment by hitting) of the Ship's Surgeon (= doctor). This is a brief scene from the 1935 film of Mutiny on the Bounty.
Movie Dialog
Easy English Notes
I've taken the liberty of telling the surgeon to remain below, sir.
I've taken the liberty of V+ing = You didn't tell me to do this, but I did it because I think it's right.
He's really not able to report.

I'll have no drunken relic holding up the discipline aboard my ship.
I'll have no X = I am angry about X. I will not let this happen; Relic = old man (an insulting word); Discipline = making people follow rules.
What's more, Mr. Byam, bring him on deck immediately, or I'll take the liberty of having you seized up and flogged.
If you don't bring him on deck (= upstairs on a ship) right now, I will punish you instead.
Mr. Byam doesn't want to disobey your orders, but I beg you, don't make that old man come on deck.

He can't even walk.

If you don't believe me, go below and see for yourself.

Are you presuming to give me orders?
= Do you think you are more important than me, so you can tell me what to do?
Reporting on deck for duty, sir.

Mr. Morrison, do your duty. Four dozen, I believe.
= If I remember correctly, this man should be hit 48 times
Four dozen it is, sir.
= That's right
Nothing lost, Mr. Christian.

Well?

What did you expect, Mr. Bligh?

The man's dead.

I call this ship's company to bear witness.
= I want everybody on this ship to remember what happened here.
You killed him!

Silence!
= Nobody should say anything!
Ship's company dismissed.
= Everybody can now leave.
..

Wilson, punishment postponed 24 hours.
= We will wait one more day to punish him.
Aye, aye, sir.
= Yes, sir.
Do you hear me?

Ship's company dismissed!

Bear a hand. Take him below.




This is a trailer (預告片)for the 1935 movie


The Making of Mutiny of the Bounty shows how carefully this movie was made.

Corporal punishment (體罰) used to be common in Taiwan, Japan and other countries. Do you think parents should hit their children if they don't behave well? Did your parents ever hit you? Was it helpful? Is it OK for teachers to hit students? Why/Why not? Please leave comments.