Altmetric

Sunday, January 10, 2016

Survival Videos (Improvisation)-1 (making a visual summary)

YouTube has lots of silly videos, but there are many useful things to watch. In 15 Trash Bag Uses for Survival, the Sensible Prepper explains how to use Heavy-Mil ("heavy-mil = thick, strong plastic) trash bags to help you stay alive outside.

After watching this video, I decided to discuss eight of the fifteen uses.




I used yEd (Free German software) to prepare a visual summary of these eight uses, split into four categories:


clothing: poncho, raincoat
containers: collect or store water
bedding: pillow, mattress
tents: roof, floor

After I finished inputting the basic details (words only) using yEd, I decided to make each category look different by using different colors and font sizes. I used 16 points bold for the top heading, 14 points bold for the intermediate headings and 12 points for the details. Finally, I rearranged this information into an upside-down tree structure and exported the result as a very compact PNG graphic.